The idea for this DIY Minimalist Paper Desk Clock has been lurking in the shadows of my imagination for the longest time (no pun intended, or maybe a little – heh). I just could not find the right clock movement kit. I needed one with small clock hands for the small desk size. I searched everywhere online and finally this last weekend I was wandering through Michaels and found it! Jumpy claps! Now that all the stars have aligned, let’s make some cute desk clocks!
DIY Minimalist Paper Desk Clock – The What
- Silhouette cutting machine (I used my CAMEO 3)
- Silhouette Studio (there is a free version!)
- Circle Photo Box design
- Bristol paper – this is like a thicker cardstock
- Clock Movement Kit – I got mine at Michaels
*This post contains affiliate links for products that I use and love!
DIY Minimalist Paper Desk Clock – The How
- In Silhouette Studio, open your Circle Photo Box design
- Ungroup the entire design
- Resize the tabs of the lid (the one with the circle) so that it is deep enough to contain your clock mechanism
- Resize the circle in the middle to make a wider window for the clock
- For the square shape place a small circle in the middle for the shaft of the clock mechanism. Make a couple of copies of these
- Cut the design with your cutting machine using cardstock settings (I increased my force to 33 for the thicker bristol paper)
- Glue the copies of the squares on top of each other to make a thicker face (about 1/4 in based on my kit’s requirements)
- Once all the pieces are cut, assemble the clock onto the square using the instructions that come with the kit
- Assemble the lid and bottom of the photo box with glue
- Place the clock face in the bottom of the box
- Attach the lid
And there you have it! You now have a sweet little minimalist clock for your desk! Made out of paper! Cool right? There are so many ways to play with this design. You can add numbers, change colors or patterns. Tell me how you designed yours in the comments below!
Looking for some more inspiration? Take a look at my other Silhouette projects!